Project :”STEP – sludge technological, ecological progress” is intended to increase the quality of the technology of reusing sewage sludge and defining ecological possibilities of using nutrients contained in it. Faculty of Electrical Engineering of West Pomeranian University of Technology, leader of the project, obtained for its implementation co-financing from the Interreg South Baltic Program. The value of a three-year project is about 1 159 655 €.
Consortium partners are:
- Bornholms Energy & Supply, Denmark
- Klaipeda University, Lithuania
- The municipality of Höör /Mittskåne Water, Sweden
- Water and Sewerage Goleniów, Poland
In the project, whose manager is prof. Marcin Hołub, will be analysed the technological possibilities and solutions for initial sludge purification, energy efficiency of the process, plasma deodorization of gases and reuse of nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus). The research results will be made available to target groups, which are small and medium water treatment plants, municipalities and private companies dealing with the reuse of sludge, associations and networks of sewage treatment plants. In addition, as part of the project, two pilot projects will be carried out:
- Goleniów - sludge composting without the odour nuisance for the environment with the use of technology of plasma deodorization
- Hoor – installation of the sludge fermentation from external suppliers ( households with their own sewage treatment plant ).